ABOUT ABINGDON STREET MARKET
The property was built in 1862 and was originally used as the town’s first major Police Station in Blackpool. It included offices, a Court House and three dwelling houses. It was enlarged in 1880 and saw the formation of the Borough Force in 1887. Finally in 1928, they became and have stayed as the Market premises.
In 2012 the Market was refurbished as part of an ongoing programme of change and improvement.
The work included restoring the mock Tudor main frontage with its half timbering and shop fronts. The work was funded with the help of a grant from Townscape Heritage Initiative through Blackpool Borough Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund.